I haven’t had a chance to write up my runs through the week this week so I thought I would do a quick recap of what I accomplished (is hurting yourself again considered an accomplishment?).
– Sunday Aug 24th – I woke up to a rainfall warning and ended up waiting until after the rain was done before I headed out. It was cooler when I started but the sun quickly came out and the heat and humidity were pretty rough. I also was trying to get one last run out of a pair of shoes and my feet took a beating. I did 13.1 miles in 2:09:22 – not a very good fast run at all but it got done.
– Tuesday Aug 26th – hamstring was hurting a bit but didn’t seem to slow me down too much on the treadmill – 5 miles in 35:58.
– Wednesday Aug 27th – I was playing with the kids as they were riding their bikes up and down the front street and I started racing my son…and got a sharp pain from my hamstrings in my right leg. I could still run slowly but any kind of speed caused some pretty solid pain. Yay. I then got on the treadmill later to do a scheduled 8 mile run and even going slowly the hamstrings were hurting. I got a half mile in before I had to stop.
– Thursday Aug 28th – had 5 miles scheduled but hamstrings were still hurting a bit – definitely very stiff and sore opposed to significant sharp pain. So no permanent damage but still could not run properly without making it worse. Had to make the decision not to run in the end. Crap – 12.5 miles lost in 2 days.
– Friday Aug 29th – no run scheduled but when I took my daughter to the park in the evening she wanted to run – my legs rebelled – I couldn’t get much faster than a shuffle. Hips and legs were very stiff – guess that’s what I get when I don’t run for a few days. Hamstring ached a bit but not too bad.
– Saturday Aug 30th – hamstrings ached a bit, especially if I tried to push my speed. The rest of the legs were pretty stiff as well and it took a few miles to get them worked in and comfortable. Ended up being a pretty slow run in the end doing 2 laps around the neighborhood as planned for a total of 8.85 miles. I had thought about doing another lap to make up some of the lost miles but I hadn’t brought enough liquid to go another 40 minutes or so. So in the end I felt it was best just to stop where planned and call that a victory considering the rest of the week. 8.85 miles in 1:26:56 – definitely not fast but definitely done.